"Beastmode 24x7. Beastmode isn’t a temporary mindset but a way of approaching life."
Anthony Hales is a Municipal and Regional Government Engagement Specialist and the President of Hales Government Solutions. Hales Government Solutions is a small consulting firm that provides research, communications and training services. Their primary clients are local government agencies. Clients of Hales Government Solutions include several local D.C. government agencies such as:
- Department of Health
- Office on Aging
- Department of Employment Services
- Office of the State Superintendent of Education
- Criminal Justice Coordinating Council
- Connect.DC - Digital Inclusion Initiative
- Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia
- Housing Authority
Growing Your Business While Still Working a 9 to 5
What have you learned about time management, company growth, and balancing everyday life while still working a 9 to 5?
Discipline is key. You have to really be disciplined in all aspects of life to make it work. Early on, I didn’t understand that. I was so focused on the work that I stopped paying attention to some of the close people around me who needed me.
It is always recommended to keep both your business and day job separate. Is it that simple? How do you achieve this? How do you keep both sides assured that they are your first priority?
Its not always simple. Truthfully, I don’t think you can be a great business person and a great employee at the same time. You have to pick one as a priority. Also, keeping both worlds completely separate becomes impossible once you grow to a certain point. Once you are running a business vs simply having a side hustle, there are just some things you will have to do during traditional work hours. I made the decision to be an mediocre to above average employee so that I could focus on trying to be a great businessman.
Has being an entrepreneur impacted your career positively?
Starting a business (I don’t believe you can call yourself an entrepreneur while still working a traditional 9-5) has forced me to grow and address areas of weakness that I probably would not have done on my own.
What are the top three things to consider before starting a business while working a 9 to 5?
- Understand if you have enough time to actually perform the work you are considering on the side.
- Understand that you cannot be both a great employee and a great business owner so you better know which way you want to go long term.
- Remember having a side business is like being a superhero. The people who know you in each life should only know you from that life.