Meet Eddie Johnson
"Commit thy works to The Lord and thy thoughts shall be established (Proverbs 16:3)." [This verse] Gives me reassurance that God is in control and if you want true success, if you give your cares to Him and you ask Him to direct your steps and you're obedient to Him, then He will surely bless your efforts while bringing glory to His name. What better than that?"
Verdure Watches was founded in 2012 by owner and designer Eddie Johnson. His love of watches stems from generations of discriminating gentlemen who always expressed how important a watch is to a man’s attire. Ever since a youth, he would see his father and grandfather wear different timepieces on a daily basis, and his interest was piqued.
From drawing cartoon characters to fully designing watches in its entirety, Eddie has come a long way and he plans on taking the world of horology by storm to be the household name for sophisticated timepieces.
The Verdure name meaning “strength” will hold a high standard for style and elegance with comfortability. We specialize in luxury watches for both men and women that can be worn on a casual day or with a 3-piece suit or elegant gown. So if you are a man or woman of refined taste, Verdure is your brand.
Time and Technology: Verdure Watches Founder Eddie Johnson
What moment in your career triggered your desire to start your own business?
Well, I really decided right before I graduated college that I didn't want to work a 9-5 for 30 years and retire. I always found freedom in being able to come and go as I please, and that is really what prompted me to become a business owner, among other things.
What is your favorite aspect of being an entrepreneur?
My favorite aspect of being an entrepreneur is that I can be as creative as I want in terms of coming up with new ideas, strategies, marketing schemes, etc. Another reason is the freedom. Again, being able to call the shots and come and go as you please is priceless.
With the expansion of technology, how has Verdure Watches kept up with the times?
The expansion of technology has helped Verdure stay up to date in terms of payment and database systems. The different platforms help to store our customer information easier and also makes them easily accessible. With a lot of things turning into apps now, that makes it easy as well being able to quickly communicate with people on the other side of the world with just a few clicks and everything is sent promptly.
From your perspective, why should individuals take interest in the tech industry?
Individuals should take interest in the tech industry because the conventional way of manually doing things is completely going out of style at a rapid pace. So in order to be able to survive in the tech age, I feel it is imperative to have some type of basic literacy to be able to get buy. And also for those who are interested in starting a business but doesn't necessarily have the means to pay a staff right away, being tech savvy allows you to wear multiple hats at once and get things done even as a one-man show.
What are 5 tips to be an effective millennial man in business today?
- First, be a man of morals. A strong moral compass will keep you out of trouble and keep you on the right path to making good business decisions. I go by the verse Proverbs 16:3, "Commit thy works to The Lord and thy thoughts shall be established". If you want true success in this crazy world we live in today, you have to let The Lord direct your steps. He made you so He knows best.
- Keep your distractions limited. There are so many things that can take our attention away from whats important. Stay focused on the task at hand and the end goal.
- No "Yes Men" in your circle. You don't want people around who always agree with you. Have people around that will challenge you and support and care for you enough to let you know that you should rethink something before making a big decision.
- The glass is always half full. You cant assume things will change for the better if all you do is think negatively. There's no real losses, just lessons. Learn from your mistakes and keep on moving forward with a smile always on your face.
- And last, be patient. Sometimes it takes a while for the best opportunity to surface. Sometimes the first deal isn't the best deal, so it is important to weigh all your options before going all in on something. Do your research before making decisions. And be sure to have a plan B.